RECYCLING PRESENTATION- Held APRIL 7, 2022
Simple Ways to Reduce Your Plastic Use
Plastic bags, plastic water and soda bottles, and toothpaste (*) are common items that make up over 11 million tons of plastic waste each year. Much of this waste is not recycled (over 90%!) or even recyclable and ends up in our oceans and landfills.
So, what’s the best way to reduce plastic waste? Cut back on the amount you use!
Here are three tips for reducing your use of plastic:
- Bring your own bags when shopping.
- Forgo plastic straws and plastic beverage lids.
- Use a reusable water bottle.
Let’s all do what we can to reduce plastic use, one plastic product at a time!
(*) Simple solutions to reducing the number of toothpaste tubes you use:
- Use less toothpaste per brushing! All you need is a small pea-sized amount per brushing.
- Keep squeezing ‘til there’s no more in the tube! You can get 5-6 more brushings if you make sure to squeeze out all the toothpaste in the tube.
- Use baking soda. It comes in a PAPER container, is inexpensive, and is just as effective (may be even more effective!) at scrubbing away plaque as tubed toothpaste.
Look for more tips in future newsletters on reducing plastics in our daily lives.
More people are ordering via curbside pick-up and delivery, which results in the use of more plastic, more paper bags, more pizza boxes, etc. Some residents might be purging items located in attics, basements and clothes closets. So, what does one do with all of the excess trash and materials? Knowing how to recycle correctly and donate non-perishable items is key! To read full article and access associated links please click here!
Recycling of Gently-Used Items:
#6 Foam - White styrofoam, usually marked with a #6 chasing arrows recycling symbol, can be dropped
off at Northeast Foam Recycling, now located in Chalfont- 90 Hamilton Street, Chalfont. For more information check out Northeast Foam Recycling | Facebook