Skip to content
How Do I...?

Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs a building permit?

Anyone who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish any structure, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the 2018 International Building Code.

What is needed to obtain a building permit?

Obtain a building permit application from the Township Building or download the form from this website and complete all applicable sections. Attach three sets of specifications and plans drawn to scale, with sufficient detail and dimensions to show the nature and character of the work to be performed. Attach a site plan, drawn to scale, showing the entire property on which the work is to be located, all adjacent streets and/or properties, all buildings or structures on the property and locate exactly on the property any new work, with its relation to all property lines. Attach, as appropriate, evidence of approval with respect to the State Department of Labor and Industry, the Department of Environmental Resources, the provisions for sanity sewage, the subdivision, or other agencies having jurisdiction. Submit all the above to the Township for review. You will be contacted regarding the required fee and any additional information that may be required, as determined by the Building Official.

**Please note that NO work may begin until the signed permit has been issued by the Building and Zoning Department.

Planning a deck?

Here is a summary of the code requirements to assist you-deck requirements.

Do I need a permit to install a fence on my property?

Yes. You will need to submit a zoning permit for review and approval prior to installing a fence. The Zoning Officer will review the proposed location of the fence and make sure it complies with the standards noted in the Township Codebook.

Installing gas piping?

A plumbing permit is required when gas piping is being installed, extended, or a new gas fired appliance is being added to an existing system. Your application must include a gas riser diagram. A gas riser diagram is required showing all gas piping on the system from the gas meter to each gas appliance tied into the gas piping. A gas riser diagram consists of size and length and type of each section of gas pipe starting at the meter, to each take-off tee branch, including sections between take-off tee branches as well as size and length of all branches coming off the main gas line that supplies each appliance, including any new appliances. Label and indicate BTUs for each appliance presently tied into the gas line and do the same for any proposed new appliances. Indicate outlet pressure in water column or psi and identify the table used to calculate size.

Which contractor can I use for my intended project?

Lower Gwynedd Township will not recommend a contractor for any job. However, any commercial/industrial/institutional/ non-residential with the exception of new residential home builder contractors planning on doing any kind of work is required to register at the township building. All licensing is for one full year; general contractors and mechanical licensing is $125.00 for a term from September 1 through August 31; electrical licensing is $50.00 and plumbing licenses are $125 for a term from January 1, through December 31. Please note, we only accept master electricians and plumbers to do work in the Township. 

What information do I need for an HVAC permit application?

HVAC contractors, please review this guide if you have questions about the necessary documentation for permit applications: HVAC Quality Installation Specification Minimum Design and Installation Requirements for Residential and Commerical Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Applications.

Where can I build on my lot?

Each Zoning District has there own setback requirements for Front, Rear and Side yards which allows uniformity throughout each particular district and provides the allowable area for which to build on your lot. For your specific lot setbacks it would be best to come down to the Lower Gwynedd Township Building and review the Lower Gwynedd Township Zoning Ordinance.

Which building code does Lower Gwynedd Township observe as their official code?

Lower Gwynedd Township now operates under the 2018 International Building Code with addendums as the official building code for the Township.

Where are swimming pools allowed on my lot?

Private swimming pools shall be constructed in accordance with applicable Township ordinances and shall not be located in front yards. All pools, filters, heaters or any facilities incidental thereto shall be not less than twenty-five feet from all side and rear property lines, except that such distance shall be reduced to fifteen feet in "C" and "CD" Residential Districts.

Do I need a permit for a roof or to replace my windows?

Our Building Code Inspectors have prepared detailed information on when a permit is required and when it is not. Click here to view roof and window permit information.