A natural balance between historic preservation and modern living, Lower Gwynedd has become the most sought after address in Montgomery County
Lower Gwynedd is one of the oldest townships in Montgomery County. The Quakers settled Gwynedd Township in the late 1600's. With the help of the leadership of William Penn the township was developed and later separated in 1891 into Lower and Upper Gwynedd. The word Gwynedd is derived from the Welsh word "Gwyn Eth" which means white fields. Records show that when the pilgrims first arrived here from Wales that their new land, Gwynedd, was blanketed with snow. The township is rooted in tradition and, in fact, still has a member of the community whose descendant's trace back to a family of the first settlers in Lower Gwynedd. Out of the 66 pilgrims to arrive, 31 were named Evans, and a descendent of more than 300 years, Gwenellyn Evan Nicodemus, still resides in the township.
Founded in 1698 by William Penn, today it is a beautiful and flourishing community rooted in tradition and culture. Our growing community is currently comprised of 11,405 residents. The median income is $92,987 and the median household assessed value is $429,000 (www.census.gov). Not only is our population growing, but our parks system has expanded as well. There are currently 6 parks (~130 acres) and over 25 miles of trails for residents to enjoy during their leisure time. The township consists of a mix of residential, commercial, and industrial zones. The major employers located in the Township are Wissahickon School District, Gwynedd Mercy University, and Janssen.
Lower Gwynedd prides itself on its natural balance between historic preservation and modern living. Located only minutes from the city of Philadelphia, Lower Gwynedd has become the most sought after address in Montgomery County.