Republic Services is the Contracted Waste Hauler in Lower Gwynedd Township- Important Contract Terms Below
- The Lower Gwynedd Township Board of Supervisors awarded the bid for Trash Collection Services to Republic Services at their meeting on September 22, 2020. The new contract commenced on November 1st, 2020 and expires on October 31, 2023. This contract does have a two-year extension clause available by mutual agreement between Lower Gwynedd Township and Republic Services. Should that option be utilized, the contract would be extended until October 31st, 2025.
- Account information can only be accessed by Republic Services. You must call Republic Services directly for account information at 215-723-0400 or to establish an account.
- The collection rate is $84.57 per quarter for year one,$87.54 per quarter for year two, and $90.60 per quarter for year three (CURRENT YEAR OF CONTRACT). Collection days will remain Mondays and Thursdays. Recycling will be once per week. Place trash at the curb no later than 6:00 AM on the day of collection, but no earlier than 7:00 PM on the prior evening; Trash collection and Recycling Collection will continue to take place on Mondays and Thursdays. If you receive recycling collection on Mondays, you will continue to receive recycling collection on Mondays. If you receive recycling collection on Thursdays, you will continue to receive recycling collection on Thursdays.
- Any resident with a bulk item shall contact Republic Services for coordination and disposal prior to placing by the curbside. One bulk item per month is permissible at no extra charge to the contracted household; $30.00 charge for each additional item.
- Leaf and Yard Waste will be collected on eight (8) specific dates throughout the year (two (2) dates in the Spring; six (6) dates in the Fall). All waste must be placed in biodegradable bags and limited to eight (8) bags per pickup. Two Christmas tree collections will also be provided following the holidays on two dates to be agreed upon by the Township and hauler.
- Recycling is all single stream- no sorting is required.
- Republic Services Holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (4th of July if it falls on a week day), Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- Republic Services Customer Service Phone #: 215-723-0400 and the website is www.republicservices.com
*Please note, these services included in the contract are unchanged from previous contracts.
SPRING LEAF & YARD WASTE COLLECTION DATES:
- Saturday, April 8th, 2023
- Saturday, May 13th, 2023
ALL LEAVES SHALL BE PLACED IN BIODEGRADABLE BAGS AND PLACED CURBSIDE BY 6:00 AM ON THE DATE OF THE COLLECTION BUT NO EARLIER THAN 7:00 PM THE DAY PRIOR TO THE COLLECTION DATE.
Recycling in Lower Gwynedd Township is required for all residential properties, commercial entities, and hospitality establishments (including restaurants and taverns). Community events attended by 200 people or more are required to provide recycling containers. The LGT ordinance pertaining to recycling can be found here. Lower Gwynedd Township is a member of the Northern Montgomery Recycling Commission.
RECYCLING IS REQUIRED
Municipal and state regulations require that residents, commercial establishments and non-residential establishments recycle all recyclable materials. Commonly recycled materials include:
- Paper – newspaper, office/copy paper, glossy paper, color paper, cardboard, junk mail, phone books, cereal/cracker boxes
- Plastic – bottles and jugs No. 1-7
- Glass – clear, green and brown containers
- Metal – aluminum, steel, tin, and bimetal cans and containers
Single-stream recycling (SSR) streamlines and simplifies the process of collecting and sorting recyclable materials, increasing rates by up to 50 percent. In a single-stream recycling system, residents and commercial customers place recyclables in a recycling cart and waste in a waste cart for pickup, and no longer need to separate these materials in their homes or workplaces. This program modernizes curbside collection in Lower Gwynedd and increases the amount of recyclable material collected.
Below is a list of acceptable SSR recyclables:
- Glass bottles
- Glass jars
- Aluminum cans
- Steel cans
- Plastics #1-7
- Junk Mail
Curbside Leaf Collection opportunities are provided to all residents through the single-hauler trash collection contract. Under the contract the hauler is required to schedule eight pick-ups throughout the year. Six collections are scheduled in the Fall and two are scheduled in the Spring. The current dates are listed above. All leaf and yard waste must be placed in biodegradable bags and there is a limit of eight bags per pick-up.
Electronic Devices must be recycled in Pennsylvania under Act 108. Act 108 requires that all electronic devices be recycled and not placed in the regular trash for curbside collection. Electronic Devices include desktop and laptop computers, tablets, monitors, peripheral devices, and televisions. Occasionally, Montgomery County will offer electronic devices collections. Here are other pick-up/drop-off services for televisions and other appliances:
- Retrievr: accepts electronics and textiles
- Montgomery County's Electronic Disposal Options List Local to Montgomery County
- Junkluggers Hauling & Recycling Company-Abington www.junkluggers.com or visit them on facebook www.facebook.com/junkluggersrecycling
- 800-GOT-JUNK (pick-up) Offers an Electronics removal & disposal service in the Lower Gwynedd Township area
- 800-HAUL-OUT (pick-up)
- 611 Metals Recycling Willow Grove 267-221-6924 (drop-off)
- Additional options through Montgomery County Recycling
Additional Drop-Off Recycling Resources
- Cardboard and Paper can be recycled behind the Wissahickon School District Administrative Offices located at 601 Knight Road.
- Seasonal- Christmas trees can be dropped off at Ingersoll Park following the holidays. The park is located at 905 Wister Avenue in Penllyn.
For more information on recycling from Republic Services check out their educational material at Recycling Education, Activities and Ideas | Republic Services