In 2018, the Lower Gwynedd Township Environmental Advisory Council (EAC) initiated a battery recycling program through Battery Solutions. This program ensures that end-of-life management of batteries from collection to recycling is done in a compliant manner with respect to the environment. The battery collection tube is conveniently located in the vestibule of the township building for easy drop-off.
Battery Recycling Results 2020:
795 pounds of batteries were recycled in 2020 and include the following categories:
- Lithium Primary: 2 pounds
- NiCad Dry: 9 pounds
- Zinc Carbon: 768 pounds
- VRLA Small: 12 pounds
- Alkaline Large: 4 pounds
643 pounds of batteries were recycled in 2019 and include the following categories:
- Alkaline/Zinc Carbon: 605 pounds
- Lithium: 5 pounds
- Nickel Metal Hydride: 6 pounds
- Lead VRLA Small- 201: 27 pounds
371 total pounds of batteries were recycled in 2018 and included the following categories:
- Alkaline/Zinc Carbon-116: 309 pounds
- Alkaline-127 (Large): 52 pounds
- Mixed Buttons: 10 pounds
For more information and to learn about the benefits of battery recycling and the types of batteries we accept, please visit the Battery Solutions website https://www.batterysolutions.com.
EAC News & Events
Save Your Batteries!
And bring them to the township building for recycling! The Lower Gwynedd Environmental Advisory Council installed a battery receptacle in the vestibule and invites township residents to dispose of your household batteries there rather than sending them to the landfill.
Household batteries include standard alkaline, nickel cadmium (NiCd), lithium, button batteries and more (no car batteries!). Some small electronics like cell phones are also accepted.
Please see specific instructions (you may need to tape batteries) and a list of acceptable batteries at the receptacle, which is located next to the prescription medicine receptacle in the township building.
- Nickel Cadmium-Dry
- Nickel Cadmium-Wet
- Nickel Iron-Wet
- Nickel Metal Hydride-Dry
- Nickel Metal Hydride-Wet
- Lithium Primary
- Silver Oxide
- Coin/Button Cells
- Hybrid Automotive Battery Packs
- Electric Automotive Battery Packs
- Lead Acid of All Types
- No Alkaline Battery is to be taped
- Damaged Alkaline batteries can be co-mingled with the other Alkaline batteries
- Do not leave plastic bags filled with batteries in the vestibule or collection tube
- Please empty the batteries in the collection tube and recycle the plastic bags at home or elsewhere
- All Lithium-Ion batteries are to be taped with the Scotch tape provided in the vestibule or from home
- Damaged, defective, recalled, leaking or bulging Lithium-Ion batteries are ONLY to be dropped off on WEDNESDAYS between the hours of 8AM-4PM
- One damaged battery is to be placed in one of the plastic bags located in the special metal container (iRecycle Kit DDR 4) located in the vestibule
- The plastic bags are to be placed inside of the special container and surrounded by the vermiculite provided
- Instructions for packaging damaged Lithium-Ion batteries and other batteries are posted on the bulletin board
- Please keep in mind that huge volumes of batteries cannot be placed on the outside benches or on the floor of the vestibule
- Small batches of batteries are to be dropped off and placed in the clearly marked collection tube
- WE DO NOT ACCEPT CAR BATTERIES
These are the most common types of batteries powering devices you use every day. Some are rechargeable, you can plug them in to charge and get multiple uses before the battery needs to be replaced. Some are non-rechargeable or single-use, once they are fully discharged, they should be recycled.
Non-Spillable/Sealed Lead Acid: small to medium dry-cell batteries, sealed, rechargeable
Lithium-ion (Li-ion): small dry-cell batteries, sealed, rechargeable
Nickel-Cadmium (NiCd): small dry-cell batteries, sealed, rechargeable
Nickel Metal Hydride: small dry-cell batteries, sealed, rechargeable
LOWER GWYNEDD TOWNSHIP DOES NOT ACCEPT ANY INDUSTRIAL BATTERIES!
Refer to the following website for more information: Battery Solutions