In response to national news media broadcasts this date
(February 11, 2003), the Montgomery County Department of Public
Safety is issuing this fact sheet for use in providing consistent
information to the pubic. For additional information, go to the
Montgomery County Public Safety website at www.montcopa.org.
Prior to Event:
- Prepare a family disaster kit. This should include cash, water
and food for at least 72 hours (3 days). Water quantity stored
should be 1 gal/person/day. Also include personal items, medicines,
- Plan a family point of contact, including phone numbers and a
- Make sure you have a working battery operated radio. Monitor
KYW 1060 AM for up to date information.
- This preparation is essentially the same, as all households
should do prior to severe weather situations.
If a Major Event/Attack Occurs:
- Immediately go inside.
- Close and lock doors and windows.
- Turn off HVAC and appliances.
- Go to a small interior room.
- Seal off openings, doors, windows, fireplace, etc. with plastic
and duct tape. Use wet towels at the bottom of doors.
- Monitor KYW radio, 1060 AM for instructions.
- There are no longer "fallout shelters." The current plan is for
- In the event the Governor orders areas to be evacuated, the
American Red Cross will open shelters for those who need a place to
stay. This information will be provided through KYW radio, 1060